Check out what the Indian Mommies are upto at indianmommies.blogspot.com

February 14, 2010

Love is...

It was Dec 2001. Hd and I were married for 18 months then and we were in Amsterdam during the Xmas holidays. Hds college friend who lived there was taking us around the city and we were walking through a flower market. Bunches and bunches of colorful tulips were peeping out of the shelves everywhere and I was blown away by the beauties. I think it was the first time I set my eyes on tulips. Had never seen them before. We walked and walked and I waited and waited and I oohed and aahed but saw no sign of Hd even going near the tulips let alone buying them for me. Since the friend was also walking with us, I could nt even say some choice words to the man. But after spending a good half hour in the market and were about to leave, I took Hd aside and asked him, "does nt it occur to you to buy a big bunch when im not looking and surprise me with them? I would ve totally done something like that if your friend was nt here, you know?" And then just shook my head, rolled my eyes and walked away to another shop to look at some souvenirs. Two minutes passed and whaddayaknow! A dozen blood red Tulips were blocking my vision and the hand holding them was Hds. I let out a shriek and hugged him. The friend went, "awww. how romantic" and I did nt care to correct him! To this day, whenever I see Tulips, it brings a smile to my lips. I'm so glad I asked. And I'm very, very glad that he listened.

So Love is... telling your partner what you want even though you will sound pathetic. And the partner doing it for you even though it will be even more pathetic! And then they live pathetically ever after. The End.

Happy Valentines Day! Spread the Love.

32 comments:

Sojourner said...

sweet :)

Shalini Jerome said...

Boo, I like the way you put down your thoughts...Amazing !

Praveen said...

We guys need to be told somethings...sometimes :D

Cantaloupes.Amma (CA) said...

What a gyan Boo !! You think this applies to only married people like us or everyone?

Its our space said...

Deivamey !

MLC said...

LOL @ yr tags!! unga thot process is v. practical!.. "pudichirku na kaetu vaangiko" fr pondaatis and "kaeta, yosikaama vaangikudu" fr purushans:-).. "siladhellaam yenaku yettaadhu dee, paesaama neeyae kekardhu bettr" nu purushaney sollirkaan! w/out furthr thinkn, i shall keep this as my mantra:-D

Lakshmi said...

Cool, whatever works :)

dipali said...

Love is- telling your partner when you need tulips:)
Love is-being able to listen to your partner and buy her the tulips:)
Love is- Boo and her Hd!
Keep the love going strong.
Happy V-day.

Anns said...

So Love is... telling your partner what you want even though you will sound pathetic

Wow.. seems like a simple quote but powerful for Ps (both Purushans & Pondattis).

Keep it going..

Sumana said...

Wonderful. A biggy lesson to learn and so very true even if it sounds pathetic

Swati said...

very cute :)

Choxbox said...

:)

Anonymous said...

Azhara pillaikku dhaan paal. I'm also a firm believer in this theory. You've put it so nicely.

Anonymous said...

LOL.. :) :)

-San

Neera said...

Boo devi maa ....keep the gyan flowing!! Hilarious post!

Unknown said...

LOL.. thats real sweet. happy valentines day! :)

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog last week or so and i got addicted to it. I read all your posts. I loved your style and humor. I could relate to most of the incidents abt your kids as i too have two daughters( four and a half yrs apart.
I loved almost everyone of the post.

Trish said...

awwwwwwwwwwwww

Trish said...

awwwwwwwwwwwww

uttara said...

Absolutely true, esp when it comes to men!

Shobana said...

love the tags boo!

Anonymous said...

engappaakku pidikaadha vaarthai lovvu - did that come in some movie? if not, how do you come up with such tags - room pottu yosipeengalaa?
-Vidya

utbtkids said...

Kalakiputta-ya
:))

WA said...

Fantastic tags Boo, loved them

yuvana said...

hai, this is yuvana. for the past 2 week i have lived ur last five years. i saw ur blog accidentaly and i am hooked to it till now. really i love three of u. usually i wont comment any one, but u are really great. my best wishes to both ashu and antu. god bless them with happiness.

ambulisamma said...

Vayulla pillai pizhaithadhu.

Unknown said...

thats so sweet.. if i tell V he will tell me buy whatever you want or it will be,"why do Ined to get u stuff to show you how much I love you?" LOL

B o o said...

Thanks people! you guys are too kind! :)

Praveen - sometimes aa???

CA - dont know about everyone but most definitely does nt work on my kids!! ;)

Inba - I knew I was missing a good quote for my tags. adhe dhaan!

Vidya - adhellam apadiye thaana varradhu dhaan! ;)

Hemalatha - thanks.

ambulis amma - eggjactly!

Aartee - Will these men ask the same when their darling children ask for a balloon? adhukku mattum ellu naa ennai yaa irupaanga, right? *shakes head* we are the unlucky ones, i tell ya. appas of our generation were also strict, husbands of ours are also not romantic!

BangaloreMom said...

LOL....and the story? So like mine!!(walks off shaking head)

Unknown said...

awesome post ... my heart became heavier reading it ... touching ... may be this wil be the first thing i will show to my wife ( wen im getting married ) ..

Unknown said...

ammu-This happens every time with even from choclates to flowers,dresses.........

I liked the way u poured down ur thoughts and feelings :)

thanks for the reminder.....

Divs said...

:-) So true! Its like even after 7 years of knowing me, my hubby buys a huge dairy milk for me for Valentines. Knowing that I am NOT a chocolate person and the only one I'd eat is the Milky Bar (which has no hint of cocoa - its pure white chocolate). On asking him why he bought this he says he can eat it if I won't :-)

baby growth

babies