Check out what the Indian Mommies are upto at indianmommies.blogspot.com

April 27, 2007

27.04.2007

Dear Arushi,
Yes, its Amma again and yes, its already your second birthday. I don't believe it either but lets fact it, you are getting old! :) What can I say about this year except thank God for every minute of it? And do you know we both have nt spent a day or night apart from each other in these 2 years? Yes, that's true baby and I'm mighty proud that I have nt had any life except you. And lets see how far we can stretch it. Until your wedding night perhaps? OK, OK I get the point. I ll try to be cool when you go out on sleep dates. No promises though! This year started with a bang for you with two grand parties, ear piercing and of course, the shaved head! I realised babies look cute no matter what when I saw your bald head yellow with the sandalwood paste. But you look a lot nicer with those curly locks and whenever people comment that your hair is exactly like mine, I can only pity you. Sorry!

The best thing about this year was that you spent nine months of it in India and that meant more time with your grand parents. Which meant I could relax and actually enjoy you. I realize that's the best thing to happen to an impatient mother like me. And the way you are so close to your grandpas and grandmas makes my heart grow heavy. I ll never solve this mystery of why you are the way you are with them. Remember when Thatha went abroad for 2 months and when he came back, you screamed "Thathaaaaaaaaaaa" and ran to him. And there we were wondering if you ll go to him or not since you were 14 months old and it would have been normal if you were shy at first. This happened so many times with both the grandpas and grandmas that we stopped questioning it. You figured out who is going to leave you loads of money pretty early in life - that's the explanation I'm sticking to!

Something I'm sure you have got from me is very interesting to notice. You have no problems adjusting to new places and you are OK with change. You like your dolls Paapu and Boo but never miss them. You don't ask for them. You love your grand parents to bits but as soon as they say good bye and leave, you give me a sad look and ask me "No Thatha/Paati" and then continue with your life. You don't ask for them again. Its the same when dad leaves for office everyday, you go until the elevator and say lots of byes and as soon as his face disappears you give me a sad face and then distract yourself with some toys. You have loads of fun in the park but as soon as I say lets leave, you say "Bye Park" and start following me. It breaks my heart every time you unquestioningly listen to me. You have been drinking milk out of a bottle or a sippy cup almost all these two years and the other day when I gave you milk from a glass you just drank it without protest and did nt wonder for a second where the bottle was. But if you cant find out which part of the house I am and if I don't answer your calls, you start panicking and about to cry and as soon as you find me, you swallow the tears and pretend to be OK and give me a smile as if you never doubted that I had left you alone and gone somewhere. Who taught you all this? This is when I get proof that not all things are taught but inherited. Because I am exactly like that to the T. Years from now when you get married and start panicking when your husband does nt answer his mobile phone, remember to blame it on your mother's genes. It works!

The most annoying thing about this year would be my Karma punishing me through you. Why oh why is everything in life a circle? Why cant you just be happy when you see your mom and dad hug? You can't stand it if we are touching each other. Actually, you don't want ME to touch YOUR dad. You push only me no matter who's touching whom. You have to come and squeeze yourself in the middle if we are cuddling in the bed. You push my hand away if I put my arm around his shoulder. You scream if we kiss each other and ask your dad to carry you. But its OK if we just give a short kiss though. A peck in the cheek is all you can take. And to think that I was exactly like you when I was young and my folks were nt even that fond of public affection. I did nt even want my mom to sit next to my dad. I would always insist on sitting in the middle. As you sow... But the funny thing is that you make an exception when dad leaves for office. As soon as he kisses you and says good bye, you say "Amma?" and point a finger at me. So your dad kisses me and says good bye and you are happy. Thank you darling. It feels great to be kissed with your approval and without you glaring at us. And we promise, no tongue!

When you were a newborn, I used to wonder what kind of a toddler you would be. You are nothing I imagined. I thought you would be a mini version of me - impatient, messy, loud, lazy and other things Im not proud of myself. But you are such a well behaved toddler that I'm sure your dad is sending you to night school to learn the good stuff. The one thing I adore about you is that you listen to me. Almost always. And it brings a tear to my eyes when you listen to me. Always. I was afraid I would be a bad mother by constantly screaming and shouting and probably even spanking. But you never give me a chance and you don't know how much you have helped me grow because of that. I have discovered I have a calm and quiet side in me too. That I have a very patient and creative side too. Thank you for bringing that out in me. Thank you for being here. I am a better person because of you and I hope you say the same thing about me one day. Well, I can hope!

Happy Birthday Darling!

Luv,
Amma.

45 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday little Arushi! Love ya and Can't wait to meet you..
Pema/Pepi

Me said...

happy birthday...:))

Sandhya said...

Happy Birthday, Sweetiepie!

Maggie said...

Sweet, so sweet!
Happy Birthday Ashu! Keep rocking!

Shobha said...

Happy Birthday Ashu :-) God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Ashu. Brilliant post :)

Ardra said...

Loads of hugs, kisses and Prayers to Ashu...
God Bless all of you.
luv
ardra

Pretty Woman said...

Happy Birthday Arushi! You are an extremely lucky girl whose mom adores you to bits!

JK said...

happy birthday Arushi...

Anonymous said...

That was a very sweet and touching post, Boo! Your girl is going to be mighty proud of you one day. Happy birthday to you, Ashu kutty!

lakshmi

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday dear Ashu...

Manchus said...

Happy B'day Arushi!! Hope you continue to be a good gal and let your Mamma write cute blogs. But don't forget to wake Amma up at 7:00 am daily (including weekends!!)

May God shower you with his choicest blessings for good health,wealth and cheer.

love...Manjula Aunty

P.S: Meet you soon when you come to Disneyland.

Premalatha said...

Happy Birthday Ashu.

Lovely post Boo.

JK said...

Happy Birthday Arushi... So what other special gifts you get today? but nothing can compete with your mom's letter :-) ... enjoy your day darling

Collection Of Stars said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Collection Of Stars said...

Happy Birthday Arushi (nice name) :) God bless you!
Psst...can you skip night school sometime and come by to my place to teach my daughter some of the good stuff ;)

P.S - Deleted my post by mistake...so am posting again!

Anonymous said...

Many Many Happy Returns of the Day to Ashu and her mom

Boo, really enjoy reading your Blogs. Have recommended it to some friends also - unga pugazh parapurein :)

Chanced upon it and am now catching up with all your old blogs too

Have a lovely day

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Ashu!

Lovely post, Boo!...

Anonymous said...

Happ...Happ.. Happy birthday dear Arushi.. You could not have asked for a better gift from your mother.

May you receive many many more of such lovely letters

Un peyar madiriyee un sirippum first rays of the sun madiri irukku

Love,

MM

Sree said...

Arushi, many many many happy returns of the day cutie pie.. both you and your mom rock.. just be this way, sweet, lovely, and adoringly cute :)). God bless you.

upsilamba said...

A very happy birthday to you, dear Ashu.

Someday I wish I could meet you and your mom.

lots of love, hugs and prayers,
Upsi Aunty

ps. Boo -- it was a beautiful letter.

kuttichuvaru said...

Happy Bday Ashu!! hav a rocking yr ahead!!

btw, gr8 post Boo!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Bday Ashu! I hope she gets to read this someday when she understands exactly what you mean! Nice post.

SS

Anonymous said...

Aaawwww - So cute. Happy birthday Arushi. Hope you get your mom's dream villa for your 3rd BD.
What a nice post Boo - I like the way you handle the intimate details in a careless(or is it careful) way - Thats why i want to come here. It makes me feel part of your life though you do not know me at all. It takes a lot to share!
Julyvee

Anonymous said...

That was lovely. Happy Birthday to Arushi! I used to insert myself between my parents too when they were being affectionate and I've seen other kids do it too...

Crumbling Cookie said...

Happy Birthday Ashu!!

Anusha said...

Happy happy birthday, Ashu!
You're only two!
but you bring so much joy into the life of Boo..!
and us bloggers' too..!

(and thus I conclude my verse...btw, Ashu, senti letter and all apart - what did you really get for your b'day?? ;))

B o o said...

Thanks everyone. Your wishes mean a lot to me. Thank you for all the kind words!
We had a great day! Will update soon. :)

Sahithi's Mom... said...

Happy Bday to you....
Happy Bday to you....

Happy Bday Dear Arushi...
Happy Bday to........ you......

I know U must have sung this a million times boo...
but please do it again from me to her....

SLN said...

I have been a long time (to be precise, since I became a new dad 9 months back) silent reader, who felt there's no better time to come out and comment.

A very happy birthday Ashu

Cheers
SLN

Stone said...

Happy Birthday Arushi!!!

P.S -- Boo, now post some b'day party snaps :-)

The ramblings of a shoe fiend said...

Adding to the list! Have an amazing birthday! You're very lucky to have a mom like yours!!

Boston Bala said...

happy birthday Arushi
:)

By Deepa and Supriya said...

Hapy B'day Ashu!

Anonymous said...

belated happy birthday to ashu!
i did not know her real name till date...
i really envy u when i read ur blog is she really so good( kannu pattu potchu)
another thing...boo do u guys really share kisses in front of ashu!!! my daughter never lets me touch her dad..
happy birthday again...
hope u had a great day...i am sure ashu will grow up and will have a diary of events in her life to read and enjoy...
i feel i know u well when i read ur blogs..

Manish Bhatt said...

A touchy post, and being dad to a 2 year old, I could so relate to it. But our little one doesn't mind if I cuddle with 'his' mom, only he tries to emulate it.

Gauri said...

Here's wishing you a very happy birthday Ashu :-) - I should actually say Belated birthday wishes ....

Hope you had a wonderful day filled with fun and frolic.

Anonymous said...

Belated happy birthday wishes to Ashu !!!

Unknown said...

wishing little Ashu a wonderful birthday!

hope we get to see her during her US visit!

:)

Terri the terrific said...

Happy birthday, little one! Now please tell me how you gave up your sippy cup habit so your peers can learn.

The Visitor said...

Dear Ashu'ma,
Wishing you a very Happy Year ahead.
Sorry that I couldn't wish you on your birthday, as usual I was 'Visiting'. :(
And such post's of mom just turn on the waterworks.

Anonymous said...

fantastic letter boo ...

I loved every bit of honesty presented in fun filled spirit and the truthful emotion flowing beautifully in it!

loved it.

neha vish said...

Happy Birthday little one! Two full years!

A, mama of twins said...

Happy Birthday - belated! I was too busy celebrating our kids that I forgot you mentioned this a while ago.

Loved the letter..

A

the mad momma said...

and i missed my favourite little girl's birthday!!!! blame it on the two babies on my hand situation... happy birthday angel..here's wishing you your mother's spirit and of course your own special something.... forever... here's to many more happy birthdays and many more good wishes... love and hugs, the mad aunty and her babies.

baby growth

babies