Check out what the Indian Mommies are upto at indianmommies.blogspot.com

June 08, 2014

"People who create their own drama deserve their own Karma".

What goes around, comes around! Nothing makes you believe in Karma like when one becomes a parent! Today around 2 pm, Ashu gets a call from her friend, Az asking if she wants to go to the pool with her. Ashu looks at me and I nod my head and she excitedly says yes to her friend, packs her bag and leaves the house. To the pool which is 5 mins walk from our house. At least thats where I assumed they were going and thats what Ashu told me as well. Cut to 5.30 pm - no sign of Ashu. At 6 pm, I am worried. Hd who was watching Nadal making history was worried enough to take his eyes off the TV and look at me. He then walked to the pool to see if she was there or in the nearby park but the pool was closed already and no one in the park. Then I started calling Az's home number, her parents mobile number but no answer. So I walk to Az's house which is 2 mins walk from our house. No ones home. I call three more of Ashus friends who are all in the neighborhood asking if they know where Az and Ashu went but no one knows. At 7.30 pm, my sister calls and asks if Ashu is home because I told her at 5.30 that she's not home yet. Now she's worried too! I knew Ashu would be fine and she would come home soon and safe but the not knowing where she was, was driving me crazy. And the fact that the girl did not think to call from her friends moms phone and tell me where she is and when she will be coming back. Not to mention the guilt trips I was taking. "I am an irresponsible parent! I should have checked with Az's mother. I should have told Ashu to call me if theres any change. " sigh. Anyway, Ashu got back at 8 pm. She had gone to another pool which is a 10 minutes drive away.  "I did nt know you will be worried, Amma. I was having so much fun that I did nt know it got so late. I did nt have my watch." Simple. And she got so upset that we were all worried for her. Sigh. 

The entire 2 hours when I was worried and looking out of the window every 5 minutes, there was only one thing I was thinking about. My Thatha. My Paternal Grandfather. I was 20 years old and in college. Usually I would be home around 5 pm. But on the day I would come late, I would find him standing outside the house, near the gate looking into the direction I would come from. If it was after 6.30 pm, then I can bet on my life that he would be standing there waiting for me. Sandhikaalam (dusk) was the curfew time according to him and in the morning when I left home, he would say "sandhikaalathukulla vandhudu" (Come back before dusk) and that was his way of saying good bye. Even when my parents did nt care, I knew Thatha would be waiting for me. And the most interesting part is that when I arrived late, he would see me and smile and walk back inside without asking me even a single question. I do not think I made him wait every other day but I do remember that in a span of 18 months, at least once a week I would momentarily forget about him because I was busy talking to the boys (what else!!) and would get home late and there I would see him in his white veshti and a mel thundu, waiting near the gate. And I don't remember he ever asking me why I was late. Not even once. And the next day, he would see me off with his usual send off. 

In those 2 hours, I was thinking about Thatha and his unconditional love and support and how patient he was with me and wowed to be the same way with Ashu. You give your child all the freedom they need and hope they are responsible with it. Thats all one can expect. And after all the careful planning on what to tell her and how to handle myself, I failed miserably! Guess one has to be a grandparent to achieve that kind of Zenness and a mere parent just won't do. In other words, Thatha did not slap me in my face because he knew Karma would! 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to note that Ashu returned safe..Touching post..
-PriyA-

Badri said...

Beautifully written! Grand parents are awesome, as you said only they are capable of that level of 'Zenness'

Anonymous said...

Aaah so real ... The rightful anger, the wishful thinking, and the drama time and the regret time - the very essence of parenting I guess. I even sit and contemplate on what is the origin of anger - and as you have said it the fundamental fear is being caught irresponsible by others, and I think thats the trick that grandparents zenness have. Some grands have explicitly told me that - "you arent responsible for outcomes, so its possible to love without frustration!" ... Thats all the trick boo - but knowing this is of no help, I get mad left and right :) To hell with society, they make us mad parents - I think we perhaps would be fine by ourselves! Its the darn society that comes between us and our kids. On the brighter side, at about 17,18 I figured my parents were mad because of the society and worded it as my doom, and by then I started taking it easy of doom vroom zoom fears! :) Hopefully our kids will catch up too.

Choxbox said...

Tears in my eyes Boo. Don't ask why.

yaadayaada said...

Even you think, you beat karma by not having kids, it still comes back to bite one in the name of nieces/Godchildren, you name it. Karma always wins!!

Me said...

I would have chewed off Az's mom head. You guys are cool.

ashok said...

karma wins ofcourse!

Karthik S said...

baby growth

babies