Check out what the Indian Mommies are upto at indianmommies.blogspot.com

January 04, 2008

One of those days...

Already 4 days old, this year! And all the days have gone by taking care of the sick and cranky babies. (Sick - Ashu. Cranky - Hd.) On 31st, we went to an Indian restaurant for a dinner buffet. Calling that spread a buffet is a joke actually. But we did nt have any other plans and did nt want to spend the evening cooking. So off we went at 7 pm so that we could be back early. The restaurant had a party from 10pm until midnight but we knew it would be impossible with Ashu. The food was ok. There were 2 Desi families sitting next to our table with two 5 year old girls. Here I was trying hard to make Ashu behave, not stand on the chair, not to drop cutlerys on the floor, blackmailing and bribing her to eat one spoon of rice. And the 2 girls were making a ruckus. Loud giggling, dancing, talking, ... And I made the mistake of talking to one of the girls as she was looking super cute and Ashu was asking "whats akkas name, amma" repeatedly to me. Ashu joined them and the trio started running around and shouting, playing catch. Ashu usually screams like a banshee and runs when anyone tries to catch her and I was repeatedly asking her to be quiet. Then the trio sat on the couch near the bar area and were playing quietly. Then I saw that the girl was bullying around Ashu calling her a baby and and saying "yucks, Ewww" a lot and laughing at Ashu with her friend. I did nt bother as it did nt bother Ashu. Then the girl started pushing Ashu and now my girl took offense and came to me and said "Akka vendaam Amma. Lets go". I proudly walked to our table where Ashu sat quietly the rest of the dinner not tempted to go to the girls even while they were showing off their mermaid doll and taunting her. My mom has told me lot of things which went into one ear and came out of the other. But one thing which stayed was "Madhiyaadhaar vaasal midhiyaadhe". (Do not step into the house of the person who does nt respect you) I am glad Ashu already follows it even without me drilling that into her. (But theres a fine print. Got to step into MILs house even if the street dog is more excited seeing you than her. You let me learn that on my own did nt you, Mom?)

And that bully girl coughed a lot and at Ashus face for that matter. So I blame the girl for Ashus high fever and cold which started the same night. It has been 4 days since anything solid has gone into her system. Her throat is swollen a little, the Doctor said. So the ever fussy eater has completely stopped eating. Milk and Juice is all shes having. Add to that, the school starts from Monday. Ennaala mudiyalai... Can we rewind to 31st and start again?

21 comments:

Mad said...

"Madhiyaadhaar vaasal midhiyaadhe" - Vijay in Gilli came to my mind when I read that :) ...wish you a very happy and prosperous 2008!

Daisy said...

iyoo paavam.. heres to a better (rest of) 2008!

Laksh said...

Hope she feels better soon! Nice catching up on all your posts. Was away for a while now. BTW Google reader is not refreshing your posts :(

Spontaneous Mini said...

Happy New Year Boo...
I pray your baby gets well soon...

Its our space said...

OH,the poor little girl.Hope she gets up and running soon.
Just tell me ,what were the other set of parents up to while their kids created such ruckus ? I hate it when parents just mutely watch their kids bully other children and pretend it is all natural :(

Subhashree said...

Oh oh... poor thing. Get well soon Ashu.

Inba's Corner said...

Awww! Happy New Year, Boo! Hope Ashu gets well soon.

Usha said...

Is she better now?
My wishes that she gets well soon and that the new year is devoid of illnesses and filled with joy and peace and good health.

Timepass said...

Wishing Ashu a speedy recovery

By Deepa and Supriya said...

happy new year boo..i see you are having it tough, hang in there and hope the li'l one's back to normal soon.
skiing, chalet, 3 nights, 2 other families...i don't believe this! we did the exact same thing, well almost :)

Suni said...

Hope little Ashu is feeling better now Boo..Seriously..watever were the parents of those girls doing??!!
And Happy New Year to you and your little family Boo...:)

Sunita Venkatachalam said...

Aww poor baby Ashu. And ofcourse that is where she picked up the virus !

Had to LOL at the fine print :)

Pretty Woman said...

hope the baby gets better and you guys will definitely have a rocking 2008! rewind panna vendam!

Anonymous said...

what happened to your photo blog, it has not been up for a while?

Aryan-Arjun said...

oh I hope she feels better soon..
Aryan's Mom

Anitha(Nikki's mom) said...

Hope Ashu feels better soon, so you can too.

Gauri said...

Hope lil Ashu feels better soon.

B o o said...

Mad - Is it during the "Velli kudam" scene? Though I did nt watch the movie, I remember that scene from TV. And a happy new year to you too.

Daisy - Its already getting better. So is Ashu!

Laksh - Will look into it. Not
sure why!

S and A - Thanks. wish you the same.

Mias Mom - Since both the girls were 5, the parents did nt think to supervise. May be I would stop caring too when Ashu is 5. Who knows? ;)

Nisha - Thanks.

Inba - Thanks. Shes better now.

Usha - A shaky start but it can only get better from here! :)

Thanks Timepass.

B o o said...

Orchid - Cool! But hope you got a better start than me this new year!

Suni - Like I said, over 5 means "do whatever you want as long as you dont bother me" perhaps?

Poppins - Glad somebody noticed the fine print! ;)

Pretty woman - Thanks.

Anon - I thought its time I took Ashus privacy issues seriously! ;)

Aryan - Thanks.

Anitha - Oh yeah. I feel much better now. Even a common cold can completely throw everything off for a toss!

Thanks Gauri. Shes much better now.

Unknown said...

Loved the comment on the MIL. I'm sure many of us can identify with it. BTW hope darlin Boo is better now..and what wonderful logic. She is so bright, this little sweetheart.

Savani said...

how is ashu doing? better now? prayers for her.. poor thing. What was the other girls' mom saying to the bad behaviour?

also dunno if this is a problem with google reader or your feed.. but did not get any feeds last week!

baby growth

babies