Check out what the Indian Mommies are upto at indianmommies.blogspot.com

April 26, 2006

Ayush Homam.

Update: Click here for Ashu's photos at the Ayush Homam.

Chennai was hot. I mean really HOT. You go to Chennai in Summer, or any other time for that matter, spend a few days, attend a wedding or an engagement or an Ayush Homam and then go back to wherever you are from, all you will remember is the horrible weather and the sweating. The mosquitoes, the lack of respect by the auto wallas, porters, etc.., the in-laws are just some added perks. I mean with this kind of a weather all year through, I don't blame them for being nasty. I would be too. For Gods sake, a person cant even come out of the shower without sweating like a pig. I don't know why people even bother to shower in the first place. All you need is a deodorant stick.

Anyway, the Ayush homam/star birthday of Ashu went well. HD and I had to sit by the Homam (Holy Fire) for one hour straight and what can be more cruel than that in Madras at its hottest peak. Added to that, we were in our traditional attires. He in his Silk Dhoti with bare chest glistening with sweat and me in a Silk 9 yards Saree with my huge tummy confusing my guests whether it was the Sreemadham(the pregnancy function)! After a while, Ashu had to sit in our laps and she was hell bent on helping the priests by throwing things into the fire. We endured all this in the only hope that Ashu will live to be hundred and share her Wimbledon prize money with her parents! Lets see. We will have a Video proof of our misery to blackmail her anyway.

Ashu was wearing silk paavadai(skirt) and was glittering from top to toe in various jeweleries. My mom got very upset that I did nt make her wear the Tiara she bought for Ashu. Yeah Right, Mom! Can somebody please tell her she had her chance to dress up babies and its my turn now? And I might get only one chance to do so? And if she actually listens to you, try your luck on my MIL too. But a different message for her. That she has got her first and only chance to dress up a baby girl and to actually show or at least fake some interest. I mean for 5 years I was listening to "Is there any good news" every week(!) and all for this lack of interest? I hope at least Ashu is in your will, MIL! (Hey, that rhymes!)

To add to the misery, Ashu got her ears pierced. I got so many mixed feedbacks about the gunshot method, that I decided to go with the traditional piercing with a copper needle. My dad bought a Spray and an ointment which will make the ears go numb. He applied it in his hands and after 15 minutes, asked me to pinch him. I did and he screamed. So he got very upset and locked himself in an AC(!) room. He did nt come out until Ashus ears were pierced. I am very sure Ashu is in his will! :) Ashu sat on my cousins lap and while HD and I held her head, hands and legs, the Aasaari(ear piercer) pierced her ears. HD turned his head away as he cud nt bring himself to look at Ashu crying in pain. I did nt feel anything. Guess, women/mothers are made for this. I just plopped the milk bottle in Ashus mouth and she quietened down immediately. Thats when I felt pity. Poor thing! Whats the need to pierce her ears, I don't know? Guess, we are just going with the flow and doing what we are supposed to do. I felt very bad that I did nt have the guts to rebel! And in a couple of months, we have to shave her head! Oh God! Why?

ps. Sorry for the long delay. Was busy with a million things!

12 comments:

kuttichuvaru said...

Best Wishes to Ashu!! heard abt the horrible weather in Madras!! Thanked God tat i am not there at this time of the yr :-)

Ashu shld hav been cute with the silk paavadai!! post some pics later!!

Premalatha said...

best wishes for Ashu. :)

Anonymous said...

Best Wishes to Ashu...


Glad that you are back...enga kaanumeenu ninaichen

Anonymous said...

Finally... Nice to see you back boo! Happy Birthday Ashu! Can't believe that itz been a year!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Ashu :-)
Today is her 1st birthday right?
Photos enge?

Blogeswari said...

Happy birthday! thats a wonderful letter from an Amma to a ponnu !

Artnavy said...

I just finished by kids ayush homam this monday in .....blore!!
wonderful weather but what anush had to endure on the ear piercing front- oh my god! but quite a doll - i felt it was more the people crowding around and literally man handling her

Deepa Shenoy said...

its was as if reading someting that i had pen'd down....... i have to get my son's ear pierced... i hope it goes smooth...

Anonymous said...

If you do not believe in a homam, why do it ? You dont have any right to complain about it, because you chose to do it.

Unknown said...

Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!

Homam

Anonymous said...

I don't know from which place you come from, But as a chennaite, I find the city good, Have you ever visited the world's longest beach??? sad....

Those who live in chennai get accustomed to it.

Why piercing the ears?
When ever a child does not concentra on studies, the ears are pinched, This stimulates the brain.There is every scientific reason for our customs and traditions. Do you know the reason why you keep kumkum on your fore head? why women circumbulate the peepel tree? My wishes to your kid!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Are you looking for Iyer for Homam, Poojas and for other Functions. Contact Jothidam Sivasri S. CHIDAMBARA GURUKAL and Call for Details : 9345451655 Iyer For Homam and Poojas

baby growth

babies