Check out what the Indian Mommies are upto at indianmommies.blogspot.com

August 29, 2014

Pillayar Chaturthi Special - 2014.

Lack of time and last year's clay meant that we had to work hard on our Pillayar this year. Quite a team effort with Ashu in charge of the head, trunk, one tusk and two legs and Antu taking over two hands, a half trunk and the plate with laddus! Hd struggled with the thoppai, ears and the mouse and I, as usual, was the fixer upper - the Pillayar of this family! :)

I was thinking of my Thatha, paternal grandfather, so much as we were making the Pillayar. I remember I was Antu's age when I used to sit next to him in our village and he used the dark kali mannu (clay) to make the Pillayar. And I can't describe the beauty of it. The smell of the eera kali mannu (wet clay) along with the banana leaf it came wrapped in, the way his experienced hand shaped the Pillayar, the nearby kenaru (well), the whole house getting ready for the poojai,... such a heady memory! He passed away exactly 15 years ago today. This Pillayar is for you, Thatha. You would have been proud!

Happy Ganesh Chathurthi everyone!




10 comments:

Yaadayaada said...

He could have been real proud.

Anonymous said...

That is a great idea boo - I should try next Chaturthi! Should remember to buy clay in time! It was lovely to imagine your childhood memory through your words!

Thava said...

Very nice.

Kowsalya Subramanian said...

Nice Pillayar!!

ashok said...

cute pilliar :)

dipali said...

What wonderful memories of your grandfather!

Sumit@sellall said...

Hey telling you Frankly I loved this pic How did you make it. Can you explain ?

anusia said...

Very sweet Gonu with its own umbrella.(Ganesha)

shreya said...

very nice blog with lots of memories. really nice one.

Robin said...

Usually, I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job, Keep it up. Ganesh Chaturthi 2019 ,
Ganesh Chaturthi

baby growth

babies