Check out what the Indian Mommies are upto at indianmommies.blogspot.com

July 24, 2012

The One in which Ashu has Existential Crisis.

A couple of days ago after a bedtime story, I casually asked Ashu if she wants to talk about something.

Yes, Amma. I have a question.
Go ahead.
Why are we here?
*taken aback* What?
Why are people on Earth, Amma? For what? Why is nt Earth without any living things like the other planets?

Thats it people. I am retiring as a parent. I did nt sign up for this. 

I told her that its an excellent, excellent question and it has many answers and gave her different possible answers and also added that its a question everyone wants to know an answer for. When I asked her to come up with her own answer she said, "I have absolutely no idea. I will think about it!" When I tried to sell her crap by telling that my purpose is to love my 2 girls and bring them up as good human beings she asked, "Then what about Perimma (my sis)? Whats her purpose? What should be my purpose? I dont have any babies yet!" 

There comes a time in every parents life when even Google cant help you answer your kids questions and this is such a time for me. HELP!

14 comments:

yaadayaada said...

If only her perimma knew the purpose of her life!! Maybe Ashu can think and tell me what my purpose is!!

Anonymous said...

She's already cognizing the maya/delusion in bhava sagaram. :)

The (universal) purpose is to be so good and love so much that there is no reason to come back again. It's like a game; live it, play it, and liberate yourself.

-Poorni

Unknown said...

I have been asked this question last year and my answer was an infinite loop..

the purpose in life, oh little one..

is to find out the purpose in life

she probably went back thinking till her brain hurt. the good news is there were no follow up questions.

:)

Anonymous said...

Ashu is profound as before! Prax read it first and came and talked to me about it ... I am reading it only now ... :) ... Before I comment I see three more ... I burst into a laughter reading Sundar's response!
Have fun!

Sumana said...

Hugs boo solid ones at that. No one can understand a mom better here, i am with you. Just that Ashu really thinks too deep.

Sachita said...

Ashu is hair is almost straight, now:) Sorry, as long suffering curly haired woman, I root for every one else to have straight hair, anthe.

Regarding Ashu's question, eat? :)

AA_Mom said...

Well she wants you to grow up along with her. *duck*

Poorni super liked your answer, My grandmom had told me this, but your interpretation in the game form is a new take. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my!!Even in this age, I can never ever think of such questions let alone answers :(

Anonymous said...

It only get worse. Then comes a stage when they think they know religion, philosophy, purpose of life and eveerything else better than you. Maybe the purpose of my life is to argue with the teenager. Scary part is he will no longer be a teenager is few months time. Hang on what WAS the purpose of this comment.

Uma

Anonymous said...

Sundar's answer is the best answer.
And life is an infinite loop. Atleast I think Ashu will form her own belief system soon. Is it good or bad? I don't know.
Your blog is always interesting!
-Vidya

ashok said...

welcome to the club Boo :)

--Sunrise-- said...

:-) :-) :-) When I was little, I used to wonder why we existed as well. I still don't know!! Ask her to let me know when she knows. Your girls are just delightful! And (being an older sibling myself) I have an absolute soft spot for Ashu's witticisms! :-)

Anonymous said...

wanted to tell you that you inspired me to start writing on my blog again :)

Lynda said...

I believe it is to have a loving relationship with our creator! He knew exactly what we would need on the planet earth to survive and so He placed us here and gave us the other planets as part of our solar system. Even the creation on earth speaks of His exsistence. Things do not just appear from no one and they can not come from a Bang. (But, God spoke us into being, only someone bigger than us could do that.) Nature itself shows that things go from an ordered state to a disordered state..not the other way around.
God created the heavens and the earth and put us here to love and know Him! It is up to us to acknowledge Him and come to Him through reading the Bible and accepting His Son Jesus as our bridge to Him! He brings us hope for the future! You could read Genesis to your daughter for the whole account. :) Blessings to you and your girls!

Lynda

baby growth

babies