Check out what the Indian Mommies are upto at indianmommies.blogspot.com

March 17, 2009

Dear Antu,

Is this my first letter to you? I think so. Anyway, you know what happened today? So today morning your dad was planning to leave a little late for office. So I went to drop your sister at school without you. You were home with dad. I dropped Ashu at school and went to do some groceries from there. I parked the car in the underground garage, took a trolley, went into the store, picked up some vegetables and was walking towards the dairy section when my heart stopped for a second. Even though my brain was telling me, "Its OK. The baby is at home. You did nt forget her", my heart took a whole minute to start beating again. You know how they say our whole life flashes in a second just before we die? Well, you don't know that yet, but they do. That kind of happened. I visualised you in your car seat, forgotten in the car and crying and me running to you and picking you up. All in a fraction of a second. If someone noticed me then, I would ve been another normal person(well, as normal as I can get!) doing her shopping. But inside, I was badly shaken. I believe that a mother and her baby are connected through some invisible cord until the baby turns one and the bond slowly fades away once the child discovers TV! So it is nice to feel that you are still very much a part of me. But one day if I really forget you, you can always find me in the chocolate aisle. Kapeesh?

Your ever forgetful,
Amma.

24 comments:

VJ said...

Boo,
I can so much relate to this post.
I have this sudden pangs of pain when I still know VK is safe elsewhere but just dont realise it for a fraction of second..and
"I believe that a mother and her baby are connected through some invisible cord until the baby turns one and the bond slowly fades away once the child discovers TV! " is sooooooo true .

By Deepa and Supriya said...

:)...a very booey gooey post..but so understand where u are coming from :)

tha chocolate aisle ofcourse!! if I ever make that trip to ur neck of the woods!
happy b'day boo!

Kowsalya Subramanian said...

"and the bond slowly fades away once the child discovers TV!" so very true Boo.

Artnavy said...

oh - i so understand this post!!

Swati said...

I know what you mean ..happens with me too

Shobana said...

Yep! So very understand this post, like the others said.

Pretty Woman said...

Kapeesh!! :) I don't relate so much coz I don't have kids yet...

"I believe that a mother and her baby are connected through some invisible cord until the baby turns one and the bond slowly fades away once the child discovers TV! "

I found this hilarious...guess its true!!

Mama - Mia said...

awwwww! :)

no wonder i still havent given Cubby any TV dose! :p

cheers!

abha

Niv said...

I so connect with this one, love your post, hilarious but very senti all at the same time

Anonymous said...

LOL @'I believe that a mother and her baby are connected through some invisible cord until the baby turns one and the bond slowly fades away once the child discovers TV'...VERY VERY FUNNY! :)

Unknown said...

Boo the connection never fades . srin is 22 and away from home but I get up in the middle of the night and sms her and she calls back saying she was just thinking of me. TV notwithsatnding, the bond remains

Manchus said...

I loved the TV line as most of the readers. It was so true for my first child.

But I have another take to it the bond remains solid even with TV until you wean the child off the milk :)

BTW did you watch Yaavarum Nalum yet?? I am eager to read your review.

Do you want me to out the suspense?? :))))

Anonymous said...

So true! So true! Lovely post :)

Anonymous said...

"I believe that a mother and her baby are connected through some invisible cord until the baby turns one and the bond slowly fades away once the child discovers TV!"......really well expressed...funny and kinda true :)

DotThoughts said...

I can soooo understand. The first time I left Chip and went shopping, I felt I had forgotten a part of me at home. These kids. drat.

dipali said...

So sweet, so funny, and so true! The connection may fade a bit, but it always remains.

Subhashree said...

Aww.. I too sometimes think something weird, scary, unthinkable and so-not-me-types and get worried, scared and disoriented. Whew!

And what you said about babies and TV is so true. Lol.

Belated birthday wishes, dearie.

Anonymous said...

Hi Boo,

I’ve linked to your blog from my blog roll. Would appreciate if you too could add me to your link list.
Hoping to share a lot of mommy & baby experiences going forward....
My blog :
http://www.sunshineofourlife.blogspot.com
Waiting to hear from you.
Thanks, so much.
Hitha

Itchingtowrite said...

ha ha sweet...
i do this most days after i hav dropped them off to school- suddenly i will lok in themirror and wonder where the kids are on teh return trip

Cee Kay said...

LOL! Good strategy, deciding a meeting point for later if you do forget her.

I know what you meant though. Have had that happen to me once as well.

Unknown said...

Awww Boo, I know just what you mean. I had that moment once, when I went to the supermarket too...total panic until I realised I'd left the critter at home. And yes, he had already discovered TV. God bless Antu and Ashu.

Vidooshak said...

"the bond slowly fades away once the child discovers TV"

WoW!

PS: In my case, the father is completely lost at baby-sitting until the day the child discovers TV. And Bachchan. Ah!

Vidooshak said...

I just read the comments after posting one. Amazed how that phrase got picked and pasted by almost everyone. It really struck a cord, eh?

You may have something big here. Something we'll remember you by-- As Boo's Baby Talk once said, I believe a mother....

:P

Sue Gir said...

I can perfectly empathise... May be the so called 'mother instinct' is true, and lies within every mother in the world. Otherwise how come every mom seems to have gone through this feeling?

baby growth

babies